Lighting can have an extremely powerful effect on both the event space and the guests. Lighting not only enhances the mood, but it also helps the photographer and videographer to capture magnificent memories while you dance the night away with friends and family.
Lighting can also subtly sets the 'pace' for guests, signaling when the event is starting, ending, intermission, pay attention, or even convey moods such as happiness or empathy. Static lighting or moving beams portray different moods which lighting can help you with.
To make sure the lighting is on point for your special event, here are a few things to take into consideration:
- Is the lighting for functionality (needed to help with visibility) or for decor/ambience or both?
- Which features of the room do you want highlighted i.e. what are your focal points?
- Does the venue space have existing lighting that you can incorporate? This can also help control your budget as lighting can be a big chunk of your decor budget..depending.
- Will my intended lighting design work for the photographer/videographer? Shadows and angles are important for these two vendors. Ensure they are in the loop with your intended lighting design in the event you need to make adjustments OR they need to walk with additional equipment to help ensure quality in capturing your moments.
- Do a site visit with your lighting vendor and decorator to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Here are a few tips from www.bvtlive.com that we totally agree with:
- Visit your venue at the same time as your reception so you can get a feel for how it will look.
- Pick features that you want emphasized
- Isolate features that you want to de-emphasized.
- Ask if the room’s built in lighting can be dimmed.
- Check if the room’s lighting is fluorescent or incandescent – you will want incandescent. It gives off a much softer glow.
Read more from them here.
Are you a big fan of lighting as we are? Need help incorporating it into your event? Send us a message let's help you make the best use of lighting for your event.